Friday, December 22, 2006

Chanuka. With no sign of any other holiday in sight

The Muqata family vacation to Eilat was successful! (Driving to and from Eilat with a car full of "are we there yets", and my wife and I still have our sanity, means the trip was successful. And the kids had a great time too)

While I'll definitely post a ton of pictures from our trip, the most noticeable aspect was that CHANUKA was the holiday of the day. No red and white...no trees...no "displays"...just lots and lots of "Chanuka".

At the Eilat underwater observatory, the diver went below to feed the fish (and sharks) and to the delight of the children there, he "lit" a chanuka menora. It's a bit difficult underwater, so he used "glowing sticklights". And when he recited the bracha, he only said "Hashem" (which I thought was very impressive), and all the kids sang after he lit the candles. What a wonderful example of Judaism-in-action -- religious, historical, educational and cool all wrapped in one (with not a sight of Santa to be seen anywhere). The only thing left to do is show you the picture...



And may all our enemies be eaten by piranha fish, speedily, in our days.



A Happy Chanuka, Happy Rosh Chodesh, and a Shabbat Shalom to all.

Jameel.

PS: Tons of blog posts coming up next week :)










Wherever I am, my blog turns towards Eretz Yisrael

10 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

glad you had a good time!

underwater menora is cool. it wasn't chanukah when i went to Eilat so we had to make do with just seeing the fishies :)

Daniel said...

Shalom javer.

I am the publisher of Herut, blog in spanish. I invite you to visit Herut and to leaving your commentaries. Excuse me, but my English is very bad. The direction is:

www.herutx.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very cool Jameel - my American guests were TOTALLY impressed by the chanukiah (and so was I). Welcome back. I promise not to bring you any sufganiot, but maybe I can find some chocolate. ;)

Shavua tov all!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BoneCrusher said...

You missed the 20,000 donuts at the Jewish Leadership conference in Jerusalem, I only had 20.

http://joesettler.blogspot.com/2006/12/picture-from-manhigut-yehudit.html

Who knew you could Bentch on donuts???

Santa tried to make an appearance at a Jewish house and got his butt kicked.

See the video at http://bone-crusher.blogspot.com/2006/12/happy-channukkah.html

Anonymous said...

what a super holiday in eilat, and you and each wife are great parents.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

anonymous: you and each wife are great parents.

Huh? Each wife? One is fine, thank you :)

Anonymous said...

What's a Hell's Angel?
hydrocodone apap

Anonymous said...

we're off to amsterdam for a few days - kids in tow...and dvd player in car for purposes of retaining sanity..lol
glad you had such a great time!
-towik

Michael said...

That underwater chanukiyah is possibly the coolest thing I have seen in a long time.

I'll give you this: it is better than sufganiyot!

Search the Muqata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails